Friday, February 03, 2006

Free, Free Free At Last

Well, my proper two weeks was up. I was really leaving work. I had cleaned my desk. I emptied my email box, etc. I turned in my keys and phone, and top secret clearance badge. I didn't have an exit interview, which was ok. All of my appropriate free lunches we attended to. I had sent all of my thank you and good bye emails. Right before I was leaving, the CFO asked if he needed to check my purse. I told him he could if he really felt like he needed to. However, I was holding back the urge to tell him that if anyone was going to steal things, it wouldn't be on their last day. They would have pilfered out all of the good stuff way before then. So, I was leaving a place that didn't have the forethought, yet again, to see outside the box, for even a tiny second. I was still way ahead of them, if though I was leaving. I also wanted to point out that there wasn't anything in that place worth stealing. An office that wasn't that interesting...not the level of doing something cool enough to have corporate docs or whatever to make off with. Lawyers just produce a ton of paper, and you'd have to be a real jackass to want to steal and house most that, which is in it's final, mostly public record. What could I possibly do with a spare Pro Hace Vice? But, I didn't point out all of that. So, I left. The end.

Well, one thing I did before I left was ask if the hourly people were getting paid for the shut down of the office for the funeral of the partner's mother that everyone was "expected" to go to, and had to miss work for. The hourly people were concerned about this, but it would be a bit uncomfortable and uncouth to ask about. But, I was leaving, so I did it. And it was uncomfortable and uncouth, but what the hay...those things should be thought out by the massa' before implementing personnel policy of this magnitude, and yet, again, another reason to leave. Attending a funeral just to make sure there were enough people there and maintain an image -well, it's just creepy. Really creepy...on account of the dead person being all waxy and the like, right there in the room with people not knowing them. Egad! Yuck! Just image!

So, I asked. More like my old uncouth self...so good to be going home. Now, the end.

I took a day off. I had big plans for my day off, and nothing happened. And that was good I think. I had horrible nightmares about the place. I couldn't tell if I was just processing the horror of it all to get rid of it, or reminding myself that in my new job search not to go towards the dark light. I awoke grumpy and in a cold sweat. Would I ever be free? Would I find my niche? Come on, old girl, there's got to be something - pull up your bootstraps, put on your thinking cap, and run with it.

I started my temp job yesterday. I loved it! Oh my God!!!!! The freedom!!!! The freedom of it all!!!!! I arrived early. And I got paid to read my book. As a temp, no one knows what your story is, or how much you might could do for them. No one will even give you mail to stamp for fear that you might break their mail machine. My plan was to just do temp work for a bit and shop around for the right job this time - making sure not to just take a job for the sake of having one.

However, I was just so excited for getting paid for doing nothing!!!! There are even secret places that you can't go at this job...THE LABS. LAB 1 and LAB 2. LAB2 just has two way speakers - that's the very secret, secret one. Whatever. I'm cool with it. I wasn't supposed to even know about them, but people can't keep secrets. People need to feel important in their work. I acted very concerned, and very interested, etc. BUT, not TOO concerned or interested. It's an artful balance for sure. So, I do know about them, and have no responsibility for them at all. I love that!!!! And the boss lady that I report to, she gave me the dish on the office staff. Maybe because she's lonely, and I'm not staying there to hurt her with the information. Much like a priest. I listened (or did I really listen) to her plight about it all. Evaluations were just around the corner, you know. And being in her position was so hard. She had to give a bad eval to one person, and she just didn't want, too. BUT, this person was a real fuck up. Oh the tragedy of it all. I told her how I understood. I told her how, right off the bat, having met her, I knew she would do and say all the right things...she had my vote of confidence. Just like a priest...very good.

I bought her a piece of pie at lunch - that a practice similar to the Hail Mary's and whatnots in the office world. Her favorite is keylime pie, and it was quite fortunate that I was able to obtain just that very pie for her. She ate her pie and thought that I was so sweet and kind to do such a thing for a stranger. Again, I have no responsibility for these people at all!!!! They could be as fucked up as they wanted to be, and come 4:00 PM on Monday, I'm outta' there!!!! Just that cool! I may just do this for a bit. Getting paid or doing nothing is just so nice.

I did get a call back on the job that peaked my interest the most. I am excited about that one, but trying not to be too excited about it all. I'm up against a tough broad with vast experience, but she has a bad attitude. I, on the other hand, can learn anything, thank goodness, I decided to never stop learning, and have a great attitude. I think that they may hire me, and my temp vacation may be over. I'm trying not to put all of my eggs in the same basket, of course. However, if you get excited about a job, it's hard not to do that. And it's hard to convince people that they should do the right thing and take care of themselves with putting you on the payroll already. We'll see about this one.

If you haven't tried temp work - well, I may suggest that you do. The release of aggravation and heartache was invigorating. It's like smelling the cork of a fine wine - right at that moment, you just know whatever comes next will be good for you and fun.

No comments:

The Only June Doe LIVE (sometimes)

Most times I'm just trying to climb back into the closet. I often can't find my way or my pants.