Monday, October 05, 2009

The Color of Children

I'm still stuck at home reeling from my current flair up. I did go to an open mic last night and read. It was fun. There were lots of other fantastic, prophetic artists there. If I return, I will have to bring my A game. It might have been a bit much for me, the going out, but shit, this sitting at home is soooooo boring. Today, I did not make it to work. And my one big thing for the day?.... I finally filled that prescription for Valium. I took just one pill and in about twenty minutes the dizziness did seem to subside. I was quite amazed. My Doctor does really know what's she's talking out. I should have never doubted her. But, then I did go to sleep. And then woke up to an unusual hour again. Perhaps normal sleep will come later, but for now it escapes me.
I've been watching TruTV some, and the news. It seems to me that all of the kidnapped or brutally murdered children are mostly white girls. Well, save that horribly beat boy up North. Great parenting. You don't get to hold the Olympics in a town where children get beaten to death by other children. However, given the statistics on children, surely they can't all be white. What is it that captures our American hearts so much about white girls over all of the other victims? This is a rhetorical question, I don't want to know the answer. In my current state, I could not take the answer to that question. But, we should take pause and ponder our responses.
I suppose I should be thankful that any child crime gets any recognition from the media.
My thought today was my hope, maybe my prayer, that at some point we understand the precious spirits of our most important investments, and see them not with color blind eyes, but as equals in every vast molecule of their lives. Even though I did read Lord of the Flies, I have my secret wishes, my dreams, my rose color glasses that we can be better.
The melancholy of what could be.

No comments:

The Only June Doe LIVE (sometimes)

Most times I'm just trying to climb back into the closet. I often can't find my way or my pants.